A well-designed e-Commerce return policy can play a vital role in attracting new customers and increasing existing client satisfaction. A good return policy goes a long way in showing your new and existing customers that you believe in your products. Below are tips for creating an e-Commerce return policy that will facilitate the return process for you and your customers.
1) Design a return policy with the input of supply chain personnel and customers. Don’t be afraid to ask for input or advice. Supply chain workers and customers often have valuable suggestions and feedback that could help you improve your existing policy. Let your customers know you are interested in what they have to say. Are they satisfied? Do they have any complaints or concerns? Is there anything they feel can be improved?
2) Make sure that your return policy is easy for your customers to find. A well-crafted policy will be useless if it is not visible to customers. Be sure to post your return policy in a high-traffic area of your website. Also, make sure the customer can understand it once they find it by keeping it clear and simple. Speak/write in terminology that your customer base will understand.
3) Always include information regarding refunds, exchanges and store credit with each shipment. Every shipment should include a clear set of instructions for handling returns and exchanges. This information is typically included on the bottom or back of the order invoice.
4) Highlight the timeframe within which a customer may return an item. Timeframes should be clearly stated in your online policy and within the instructions provided with each shipment.
5) Clearly outline any return fees that may apply. Applicable fees should be outlined up front for customers to avoid any unpleasant surprises or frustration.
6) Remind customers to return all accessories originally shipped, even if the customer thinks they may be defective. This is very important because the manufacturer will need to determine whether a malfunctioning product is due to the product itself or an associated accessory. Additionally, customers may not receive full credit if all items are not returned.
7) Provide contact information in case additional return questions arise. Ideally, customers should be presented with a contact phone number and an email address to request support with a return.
Please contact us to learn additional strategies to facilitate the return process for your e-Commerce store. We look forward to hearing from you!